Tanisha's hunt for the ‘purr-fect’ role

Despite a much-hyped Neal ‘N’ Nikki with Uday Chopra, Tanisha’s career didn’t take off the way it ought to have.

After a short hiatus, the bubbly actress was seen in Ram Gopal Varma’s recently released film, and One Two Three this year. Like many of the Bollywood heroines, she made a mark in Telugu and Tamil films, and is all set to make her presence felt in yet another regional film.

She will now be seen in a Bengali film, tentatively titled Mukti , with her mother Tanuja. And, expectedly, she is very excited. “I’m really looking forward for shooting to start in August. I’m very excited about it and cannot wait to sink my teeth into it,” she gushes.

Tanisha, who will be sharing camera space with her mother for the first time, is playing a young girl who lives with Tanuja as a paying guest. “It’s going to be interesting. I have seen my mother work with my sister in Bekhudi , and there was a comfort level that they shared. I feel the more you know the person you are acting with, you can get the subtle nuances out of the other person,” she opines.

What is most surprising is that though Bengali is her mother tongue, Tanisha is not as comfortable with Bengali as she is with Marathi. “I have grown up in Maharashtra and Marathi is my mother tongue. I’m more well versed in it,” she admits. So, is she going through some intense training in the language for her next film? “I have put my whole faith in the director, Gautam Haldar. He and my mother will both be training me in the language,” says she.

Since she is so good at Marathi, would she be open to the idea of doing a Marathi film? She replies smilingly, “Well, my Marathi is very Mumbai Marathi. It’s not as pure and fluent as the Marathi that is spoken in Pune.” On a serious note, she adds, “Marathi cinema is doing really good. They have really good subjects and scripts. And, unlike Bollywood, they are willing to take risks. I wouldn’t mind doing a film as long as the subject appeals to me — the language really doesn’t matter.”

Tanisha admits that she can’t do the same thing over and over again. Then, what is it that she would really like to do? Her prompt reply is, “Fantasy fiction!” She says, “It would be really exciting to act in a film based on fantasy fiction. I’m also very fond of reading books based on the same. I love the fantasy world with all the fairies, dragons and other such creatures.”

That’s not all. She is also into comics. “I love the films based on comics. I’m a big super hero fan. I especially like X-Men ,” she chirps.

So, given a chance, which character would she like to play? “I wouldn’t mind playing any female superhero. I think Catwoman would be really fun to play,” she informs. Hope the directors hear that.



Tanisha Mukherjee Biography

Tanisha Mukherjee Photogallery

Archive