Naomi Campbell will promote Black people in fashion industry

If reports are to be believed, supermodel Naomi Campbell may soon retire, for she thinks she is through with her bit to promote Black people in the fashion industry.

The catwalk queen has always been reluctant to give up her career as there are so few black women in the industry, reports China Daily.

But after designers at New York Fashion Week used beauties of all races to showcase their creations, she is sure that there are other people to carry the torch and she can happily leave.

"This time the designers and editors have stepped it up. I feel positive. That means I can go soon,” she said.

She added: "My gut instinct is to get women of colour out there whether I''m still in fashion or not. I''ll be very happy when I''m 55 years old to pick up a magazine and see a lovely spread with a black woman.

Then I''ll know I didn''t work for all these years only to see it go backwards."

While the 38-year-old supermodel takes it as a changing attitude, she hopes that it is more than a passing trend.

She added: "The recent issue of Italian Vogue magazine where they only used black models shouldn''t make it briefly fashionable to be black and then unfashionable again."

Archive