In love, it’s all or nothing: Sandhya Mridul

You’ll be seen on television after a long gap. What made you take up a dance reality show?
Television has never been a good or a bad medium for me. Jhalak Dikhla Jaa sounds like fun. Though I’ve never learnt dancing, I’m really fond of it. They had approached me for the first season as well, but I couldn’t take it up then.

You sound thrilled... will you take the competition seriously?
I always take up projects to have a good time. In this show too, I’ll try and keep that in mind. But you never know, I might have to turn competitive if the show demands that.

You last did a cameo in Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin.Weren’t you offered anything interesting after that?
What interesting shows? Saas-bahu? No thanks. Of course, many offers have come my way. People have tried to bring me back as a good bahu or a bad one. But no chance, man. I’ve been there, done that. Everything offered to me was repetitive.

Have you come across any other show as strong as Koshish — Ek Asha?
If you want to play the protagonist these days, you have to be the bahu. I’m not ready to do that again. I can’t be wearing heavy saris with dark pink lipstick all my life.

You made your debut with Tony and Deeya Singh (Banegi Apni Baat). Haven’t they offered you anything else?
Yes, they did. In fact, they’ve asked me to call them whenever I want to do television again. But I want a break from television. It’s a huge commitment.

So you’re now focusing on films?
Yes. I don’t have a problem with TV but with what is being churned out. I’m getting more time to live my life with cinema. I can work out and be healthy. Jhalak.. shouldn’t be mistaken for my comeback to television.

Which films are you doing?
I’ve completed four films — Chowki, The Great Indian Butterfly, Via Darjeeling, BBD and There’s a fifth one in the
pipeline.

At the end of the day, how satisfied are you as a person and as an actor?
I’m very happy. I’m glad that I didn’t accept the junk offered to me. I may be going slow but it will pay off in the long run. Had I done 15 films after Page 3, I wouldn’t have been happy.

And what about your love life?
Zilch! Not because I want it to be that way. It’s just that I haven’t found anyone worthy enough. I was seeing someone three years ago, but not anymore. I am an all or nothing kind of a person. So right now I’m in the nothing phase.

Archive